Healthy adults need at least seven hours of sleep each night, but most of us aren't getting this recommended amount. While there are many ways to improve overall sleep quality, one of the simplest solutions is investing in luxury linens.
Not only do luxurious bed linens provide a comfortable sleep environment to get a better night's sleep, but they also provide many other exceptional benefits. Here's everything you need to know about luxury bed linens and why we think they're worth the investment.
What Are Luxury Linens?
Luxury linens are a type of premium bedding crafted for ultimate comfort and style. One of the main factors that sets luxury linens apart from standard bedding is that they're made with high-quality materials such as Egyptian cotton and silk. These lush fabrics offer optimal softness, durability, and breathability.
Luxurious bed linens are known for their expert craftsmanship, often including detailed designs and finishes like embroidery and appliques. These final touches add to the aesthetic and make the bedding long-lasting.
Materials Used in Luxury Linens
Luxury linens are made from high-quality fabric. Here are a few of the top materials, along with the benefits of each.
Egyptian cotton is widely known as one of the most superior materials for luxury bed linens because of its extra-long fibers. These fibers offer maximum durability, comfort, and softness. Because of their strength, Egyptian cotton linens are less likely to pill or produce lint. They're also breathable and crisp during warmer months while offering insulation in the colder seasons.
Pure silk linens are smooth and lustrous. Silk also absorbs less moisture than many other types of fabrics. This lets the sleeper retain the moisture, making it ideal for people with dry and itchy skin. Silk also causes less friction, which can prevent your hair from tangling and breaking while you sleep - the perfect material for a pillowcase. Luxury silk linens have natural temperature-regulating properties to keep you warm in the winter and cool in the summer.
A popular choice for upscale bedding for decades, linen is an all-natural fiber from the stalks of flax plants. Due to its intricate woven structure, linen is thicker and stronger than cotton, giving it a beautiful drape and supreme durability that lasts for years. Bedding made of linen is also breathable and becomes softer with every wash.
Thread Count, Weave, and Finishing
Along with upscale materials, the craftsmanship of the linens also determines their quality. Here are a few additional factors to consider when choosing luxury bed linens.
Choosing a higher thread count between 300-600 tends to ensure its quality, though the range varies depending on fiber type. Anything higher likely won't make too much of a difference in quality. While you might occasionally find bedding with thread counts of 1,000 and above, these unrealistic numbers are most likely not authentic and are marketing-driven.
It's also a good idea to pick linens with a high thread count using single-ply yarns. Bedding with multi-ply yards is made of thinner threads and can affect the fabric's durability and longevity.
The weave of the fabric is the thread's vertical and horizontal arrangements, which significantly affect a linen's finish and feel. All cotton luxury bed linens have either a percale or a sateen weave. Percale is a simple grid-like weave that's crisp, matte, and breathable. Sateen, on the other hand, is a more tightly woven weave that feels silky and smooth and is known for its wrinkle-free properties.
Luxury linens often take a minimalist approach with natural tones that add sophistication and style to the home. But some luxury bedding brands also offer intricate details like embroidery and hemstitching for an added splash of elegance.
Benefits of Luxury Bed Linens
Yes, luxury linens come with a higher price tag. But they also offer a host of advantages, adding to their value. A few of the benefits of luxury bed linens include the following:
- Enhanced comfort - Since luxury linens use materials that are of the finest quality, they're also significantly softer and more comfortable, leading to a better night's sleep. Many luxury bedding fabrics also have temperature-regulating properties, so you stay cool in hot and humid weather and warm and cozy in cold weather.
- Increased durability - One of the biggest perks of luxury bed linens is their longevity. Not only do they have an increased lifespan, but they'll look and feel fresher for longer, too. While it might be tempting to opt for cheaper bedding, in the long run, luxury linens add more value to your dollar.
- Skin protection - Bedding made of low-quality blends can feel rough and abrasive, causing irritated skin or even leading to more noticeable wrinkles over time. In contrast, luxury linens are usually made from natural materials with fewer chemicals and dyes that leave the skin feeling soft to the touch. In fact, many healthcare professionals consider fine linen to be naturally hypoallergenic, so even people with sensitive skin can get a comfortable night's sleep.
How to Choose the Perfect Luxury Linens
Here are a few helpful tips to select the ideal luxury bed linens for your home:
- Choose good quality materials. Not only will bed linens made from premium, natural fibers last for much longer, but they'll also keep you comfortable year-round.
- Pick a weave that suits your preferences. Percale and sateen are two of the top weaves for luxury bedding.
- Consider cost. While luxury designer bedding is priced on the higher end, it's often worth the investment. You can also find a range of price points among luxury linen brands to fit your budget.
- Opt for the right color and style. Think about how the bed linens will affect your bedroom style as a whole, considering if you want something drastic and bold or linens that are classic and timeless.
Caring for Your Luxury Bed Linens
Luxury linens should be livable, washable, and get even softer over time. Here are a few tips on how to properly care for your bedding:
- Machine launder your linens in cold water on a gentle cycle.
- Use a mild detergent without added bleach, whiteners, or softeners.
- Do not use liquid fabric softener, as it can damage the fibers.
- Tumble dry on low heat.
- Remove sheets immediately to prevent wrinkling.
- For a crisp look, press damp linens on the reverse side using a steam iron on the hot/warm setting.
For more details about how to care for your luxury linens, check out our detailed care guides.
Invest in Yourself with Your Own Set of Luxury Linens
Luxury bed linens can help improve your health, boost your sleep quality, and add to your home's carefully crafted aesthetic. Designed to get softer with age, luxe linens are made to be well-loved throughout the years, making them a smart investment for your home.
When you're ready to transform your bedroom into a sanctuary of comfort and class, Peacock Alley's luxury linens offer a wide variety of styles to match any type of home décor. Choose bedding made with luxurious fabric like silk and linen or with upscale weaves like sateen and percale.
Experience the Peacock Alley difference. Our high-end bed sheets and linens are some of the finest in the world!
Discover Our Best-Selling Sheets
Q: What is the difference between luxury linens and regular linens?
A: Premium materials and expert craftsmanship set luxury linens apart from standard bedding.
Q: What is the best fabric for luxury bed linens?
A: Luxury bedding is made of different materials, but some of the best fabrics include Egyptian cotton, silk, and linen.
Q: Are higher thread count sheets always better?
A: A high thread count can indicate high quality, but it's also important to look at the fiber content and construction of the linens. Typically, a thread count between 300-600 should ensure high quality. Anything over that range most likely won't make a difference.