Your bedroom should be more than a place to sleep; it should be your refuge at the end of a long day. Learning how to style a bedroom can lead you to make your personal space into a relaxing haven. But it can also be confusing and daunting, leaving you wondering where to begin with your home décor ideas.
If this is you, read on to learn more about the essential elements of bedroom styling. From setting a design budget to adding the final accent pieces, we have all the details you’ll need to transform your bedroom into a den of luxury.
Choosing a Bedroom Style
From contemporary and modern to minimalist or traditional, there are many design styles for bedrooms. Before decorating, decide what style best suits your personality. These are the most popular styles currently, according to design experts.
- Scandinavian Interior Design - This minimalist style is characterized by clean lines, neutrals with pops of color, and soft textures like linen and wood.
- Modern Farmhouse - Similarly, this design features clean lines, neutral color palettes, layered textures, and natural materials.
- Art Deco - On the other end of the spectrum, this glam style is loaded with rich textures like velvet, geometric patterns, metallics, and animal prints.
- Traditional - Bedrooms with this timeless design style feature classic furniture and vintage pieces and warm and neutral colors.
- Mid-Century Modern - This décor is known for its retro style and combination of organic and manmade materials.
How to Style a Small Bedroom
Styling a small bedroom can be challenging regarding furniture, decoration, and storage. But with a few hacks, you can maximize your limited space.
- Get smart with storage. Hang accessories like hats as accent pieces, use vertical storage solutions, and opt for multifunctional furniture (like an under-bed storage piece that doubles as a bedside table).
- Add a mirror. A classic trick, strategically placing a mirror can double the look of smaller spaces. Putting mirrors opposite or adjacent to a window can also reflect light throughout the room.
- Go all-white. An all-white color scheme is an easy way to visually enhance your space, blending soft neutrals for texture. If you want to bring in colors, do it thoughtfully, using soft, muted tones to create a more airy feel.
Selecting the Right Furniture and Décor
Investing in quality pieces of furniture can offset the style of your bedroom. While your room's size will determine everything you choose, five essential items include a bed, dresser, nightstand, accent chair/couch, and mirror.
The right home décor can help tie the look of your room together. Investing in quality bedding and accent pieces, like blankets and throw pillows, can also add versatility if you have a limited budget for furniture.
Incorporating Colors and Textures
Even if you’re going with a minimalist style, good interior design balances color with a mix of texture and patterns. A good rule of thumb is to pick a favorite pattern or color and then think in terms of three — looking at three items in your room and how they will interact. For example, start with your bed, then introduce a pattern on your accent chair, and add a pop of color with a sham pillow.
Lighting and Window Treatments
Window treatments not only block out the heat and cold and add privacy, but they can elevate your home's décor — adding dimension and texture or softening lines for a cozy feel. What window treatment style you choose will depend on your bedroom style, size, and the tone you're trying to achieve.
For example, keep window treatments minimal in small bedrooms and opt for plain roller blinds or flat lace panels to let in the light. If you have architectural features like arched windows that you want to accent, drapery is a classic choice. And to add a pop to more modern styles, opt for a Roman blind with bold colors or patterns.
While they may not seem that important, the final touches in a bedroom can complete your whole look. Here are a few ways to add small details to tie your room together and make it truly feel unique.
- Fill blank walls with your favorite art pieces.
- Dress up your nightstand with cheerful coasters, a candle, or colorful accents like a clock.
- Add mood lighting in the form of table or floor lamps.
- Pile in the greenery with potted or hanging plants.
- Experiment with texture and add pieces like a rug, a chunky knit throw blanket, or handmade pottery.
Styling your Bedroom with Peacock Alley
At Peacock Alley, we offer high-end bedding that can take your personal space and elevate it into a cozy haven that reflects your personality and style. If you’re looking for individual pieces, we have beautiful bedding, sheets, and accessories to build your own look. For a more tailored approach, we also offer exquisite bedroom décor collections to replicate within your own home. Our design teams, stationed at our retail locations, will help you style a bedroom that's as cozy as it is chic. We're all about lush linens, fabulous fabrics, and those little details that make a big difference. Don't worry if our stores aren't just around the corner – hop onto our online chat and get the same top-notch advice from our experts.
We also source the majority of our fine-quality fabrics from the world’s most responsible mills in places like Portugal and Italy. Our skilled artisans use these fabrics to craft beautiful bedding. So when you buy linens from us — wherever they originate — you can do so with the peace of mind that you’re making a conscious choice.
Feel good knowing where your materials are coming from and indulge in the ultimate comfort of bedding from Peacock Alley.