Shower Curtain Buying Guide
Which Style of Shower Curtain is Best for You?
When choosing a shower curtain, there are some important things to keep in mind so that you pick the perfect one for your bathroom. You should know the dimensions, style, and fabric type. Here are some tips to help.
Shower Curtain Dimensions
The standard shower curtain size is 72” x 72”, which allows the curtain length to extend all the way down to the floor to cover the bathtub. Custom showers and baths may require you to measure your space to see if a standard designer shower curtain will fit properly. If not, an extra-wide shower curtain may do the trick.
When measuring, please note that for a standard size shower curtain to fit your bath, three additional inches of length are needed to be factored in to account for the height of the shower curtain rod and shower rings. In addition, your shower curtain should extend at least 12 inches beyond the sides of your shower so that water will not escape from the edges.
Types of Shower Curtains
There are a variety of different types of shower curtains available for your home bathroom. Check out the benefits of each type of shower curtain to help decide which will work best for you.
- Cotton Shower Curtains - A popular choice when it comes to choosing accessories for your bathroom, cotton shower curtains are a true classic. Cotton adds an upscale designer feel to your bathroom and is super easy to care for. Cotton shower curtains are available in many different colors and prints, as well as a variety of styles to fit your decorating preference whether it be casual, modern, classic, or even retro.
- Decorative Shower Curtains – If your bathroom is in need of a new theme or décor, decorative shower curtains are a great choice to inexpensively add a ton of style to your space. Designer decorative shower curtains are usually made with high-quality fabrics like rayon and silk and also often have hand-stitched decorations or embellishments. These curtains are as useful as they are pretty! Simply pair your beautiful decorative shower curtains with a water-resistant shower liner for perfect coverage.
- Vinyl Shower Curtains – A popular low-cost and easy to maintain option, vinyl shower curtains come in a wide variety of different prints, colors, patterns, and styles. The vinyl material is a natural water repellent, meaning there are less issues to deal with when it comes to mold and mildew. While not as classy and elegant as cotton or other fabric shower curtains, vinyl shower curtains are definitely the most affordable and easiest to care for.
- Hookless Shower Curtains – Perfect for contemporary homes with ceiling-track curtain rods, hookless shower curtains are created with built-in grommets so they can easily slip over your shower curtain rod, with no need for shower curtain rings. This modern style of designer shower curtains often has built-in shower curtain liners and come in unique patterns and colors.
- Microfiber Shower Curtains – Easy to care for and ultra-soft microfiber shower curtains are a great choice for your home. The microfiber works well to wick away moisture and it evaporates quickly, keeping mold and mildew at bay. The weight of microfiber shower curtains is much heavier than typical lightweight shower curtains, so this makes them especially stable when you have higher water pressure or have a vent in your bathroom that can move shower curtains while bathing.
- Extra-Wide Shower Curtains – These over-sized shower curtains are extremely useful if you have a custom or off shaped shower or bathtub. These wider curtains also work well for hanging shower rods like the ceiling-track type that hangs over the bathtub. These larger shower curtains also give great coverage around your bathtub to avoid wet floors and bath mats.