Living just blocks from the Kodak Theater in Hollywood, I experienced my fair share of the Oscar's yesterday evening as my surrounding streets were blocked off with security making it almost impossible to get home! As I waited in a line of cars to detour, I watched the other line of black limos (in the lane next to me) slowly making their way to the final red carpet destination....
The Oscars' are obviously about the movies. Okay, not really...we all know it's the red carpet fashion that's being talked about the most! The biggest trends in gowns this 2012 were all about shades of white, black and red...with sparkly sequins and asymmetry to go alongside! Understated jewelry seemed the way to go for accessories, shying away from the usual 'bling' seen at award shows (not to say the jewels worn weren't worth millions - just more subtle this year!) Also not to be overlooked was a strong mix of Old Hollywood meeting modern day glamour. With overlap in all of the above trends, these ladies really stepped it up this year...
Shades of White
Gwyneth Paltrow in Tom Ford won extra points with her cape feature; Octavia Spencer shines in Tadashi Shoji; Shailene Woodley in Valentino & Harry Winston
Lady in Red
Emma Stone in Giambattista Valli; Natalie Portman in Dior Haute Couture
All that Sparkles
Ellie Kemper in Armani Prive; Judy Greer in Monique Lhuillier; Rose Byrne in Vivienne Westwood
Stacy Keibler in Marchesa; Missi Pyle in Valentina Delfino (a hand-dyed organic silk gown that won the submission in the Red Carpet Green Dress competition which aims to promote eco-friendly elegance); Sarah Hyland in Alberta Ferretti; Kate Mara in Elie Saab
Channeling Old Hollywood:
Jessica Chastain in Alexander McQueen; Penelope Cruz in Armani Prive, and Tina Fey in Carolina Herrera
Now...let's get to the overall best dressed!
The show stopping fashion award winners of the night came down to the following five in my book...
- Michelle Williams, one of my favorite actresses, stayed true to her vintage style looking fresh and flawless in a tangerine/coral Louis Vuitton gown (that took over 300 hours to make!) The detailing of what looked like thin delicate tissues were layered ever-so-perfectly. I especially love how she wore similar shades of color (a big trend of spring 2012) between her dress, clutch and the red carpet...totally breathtaking as she made her entrance.
- Wow. It isn't news that Jennifer Lopez is hot, but awards-show mode is really her forte. She turned heads per usual in a Zuhair Murad white dress that looks striped as it reveals slivers of skin. Let's talk more about her skin...the woman doesn't seem to age! And, her makeup is completely flawless. I love the classic sleek bun and those shoulder cutouts are the final touch to fabulous. Cutouts...another trend to note this season!
- Stunning as always, Angelina Jolie was definitely working her asymmetrical black velvet Atelier Versace number. Not many can pull off that sexy leg slit the way she does...swoon!! What else is there to say?
- Then there is the gorgeous Milla Jovovich wearing an all over sequined one shouldered Elie Saab gown. With her side swept hair, red lips and classic jewels, she radiated the perfect balance of old school Hollywood and modern glamour.
- Winning gown of the night goes to…(pause)…Rooney Mara in her plunging white Givenchy Haute Couture!! Not only was the fishtail gauzy overlay dress beautiful, (said to have been a big fixture at Paris Fashion Week) but she nailed it on hair and makeup as well. Her jet black slicked back bun with blunt bangs and a simple red lip really tied the chicness of this look together. I also loved how she accessorized with a single Fred Leighton diamond ring that was hardly noticeable...probably/hopefully the point.
So, now that we've covered the fashion part...
I don't know about you, but I have a lot of movies I need to catch up on...
Photo credits: huffington post, popsugar, instyle and people mag